I'm currently reading a book entitled Think Differently Live Differently by Bob Hamp. I purchased it this past weekend when I went back to Denton for the weekend and attended Gateway (in Southlake) on Sunday. Have I mentioned how much I love that church? If you ever have the chance to go, do it. You won't regret it. My friend and I went to a Sunday school-esque class before the worship service and it was so good. Between every moment of feeling overwhelmed by the truth of what was being taught I would think to myself, 'everybody needs to hear this! right now!'
This book touches on some of the things that were taught that morning, so of course I'm going to put some excerpts from it in this post.
The whole message of this book is freedom. One of the comments on the first page "In this book you will find the simple yet deep truths to the freedom that so often eludes us. Be ready to be challenged and encouraged to walk in the fullness of who you truly are in God. Bob Hamp exposes lifelong lies we've all allowed ourselves to believe and helps us to see the truth. A life changing book!" - Kari Jobe, Dove Award Winning Artist
And another: "Bob Hamp has nailed it. With riveting analogies, unique humor and incredible biblical insight and understanding, he has brought to light, in an easy to understand way, what most people are fearful of exploring. This book helped me tremendously and is a must read for anyone seeking release and freedom from the chains of their past, and desiring to move on to better and brighter things in their life." -Mike Brisky, 7 year PGA Tour Veteran
So, the moral of the story so far is: go buy this book! I'm not even half way through with it and it is already having a significant impact on my relationship with Christ.
I literally just started quoting a section of the book (about one of 5 parts I wanted to share on here) and realized, a page and a half later, that I'll end up typing every last word of it in here if I keep going at that rate. So, how about I just tell you about it? Sound good? I'll take that as a yes. And I'll go ahead and apologize for not being able to articulate all of this as well as it was articulated Sunday. Bear with me.
What is freedom?
Being able to do whatever we want?
Well, that's what the Merriam Webster online dictionary says- "the absence of necessity, coercion, or constraint in choice or action."
Bob's definition is this: "Freedom is the ability to act and react in life as the man or woman you were created to be."
Freedom is about being who God created you to be. Without all of the filth the world has put in your mind. It's not about thinking and doing. It's about being. We can put forth all of our efforts toward "self-improvement" and still fail. In fact, I do that all the time. We are who we are, and trying really hard is only going to get you so far. In the end you will keep coming back to the root of all of your problems: you.
In the class on Sunday, the man speaking said that we all know what sin is: doing all the bad things we shouldn't do and not doing all the good things we should do, right? That's not all of it. That is the effect of the cause. He asked us if any of us spoke Spanish. A few people raised their hands. He went on to ask them what the Spanish word for "without" is. They answered "sin." (Sounds like seen). "See, the Spanish got it right!" He said. "Sin is being without God." It is our separation from Him that leads to the actions that displease Him.
Putting all of our efforts into trying to be "good" is simply a way for us to try to make ourselves better. God doesn't tell us that we should make ourselves better. He asks us to let Him make us new.
{2nd Corinthians 5 : 17} "Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come."
"Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature." He is. We become different when we are with Christ. We can't make ourselves that way. It is His Spirit in us that brings about the changes in our lives.
(2nd Corinthians 1 : 21-22} "Now it is God who makes both us and you stand firm in Christ. He anointed us, set his seal of ownership on us, and put his Spirit in our hearts as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come."
I'll sum it up like this. We need God. Desperately. We need his grace not only to be forgiven, but to walk with Him daily. We don't need to try harder. We can not save ourselves. No matter how herculean the effort. I am never more fulfilled than when I cry out to God and acknowledge my need for Him, because he is faithful to answer the cries of his children.
{Psalms 40 : 1-3} "I waited patiently for the Lord, and He turned to me and heard my cry for help. He brought me up from a desolate pit, out of the muddy clay, and set my feet on a rock, making my steps secure. He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear and put their trust in the Lord."
No comments:
Post a Comment