Monday, February 28, 2011

Identifiers

I, being the intelligent and organized person that I am, decided that it would be a good idea to start reading three books at one time.  Not an absolutely horrible idea, but in hindsight I think I should've stuck to one at a time.  Anywho, I finished one of the books and now I'm back to reading Think Differently Live Differently by Bob Hamp.  I talked about this book a couple posts ago.  

Basically, I love it.  I forgot how much I loved it until I picked it up again about a half hour ago.  I had it bookmarked in the middle of a chapter so I just picked up where I had left off.  That chapter was dealing some with laying hold of new things and letting go of old things:  an idea I needed to sit and chew on for a good minute.  I know we're all creatures of habit, but I tend to think that I'm more of a habitual creature than most.  Especially when it comes to bad habits.  My bad habits are on a mile-long list.  They range from obvious, physical habits to minute "thought" habits.  I won't even get into that list because I have a feeling I could type about that for a couple hours and then wallow around in how disgusted I felt with myself.  So, let's just skip the list and move on, shall we?

As I sat and thought about all the of things that I tend to do/think that don't match up with the character that is pleasing to God, I realized that in listing all of these things I really felt as though I was describing myself perfectly.  In 100% negative words.  I am capable of identifying with a long list of bad behavior and bad thoughts.  This scared me.  While, yes, that list was a true (albeit unflattering) look at my transgressions, it shouldn't be how I see myself.  When I spend my time thinking about my faults and mistakes and defining myself by them, how likely is it that I'll get up after that and go live a life with a heart for God?  It's not likely at all.  What will happen is this: I'll do what I mentioned above- wallow around in how disgusted I feel with myself.  Oh, how easy it is for the enemy to use this as weapon #1 against me.  He knows that if he can get me to speak negatively against myself and my identity internally or verbally, he can sit back and watch while I drudgingly go through the motions of my day with negative, depressing thoughts running through my mind.

Unfortunately for him, God had other plans for me tonight.  In the middle of my depression parade God nudged at my spirit.  With that gentle nudge I remembered, 'I'm a beloved child of the King of Kings! I'm an irreplaceable daughter of the Most High! I am a completely unique, wonderfully made creation of the Creator. I am redeemed! The old has gone and the new has come!'

In this book the author says that freedom is when you can act and react in life as the person you were created and have been restored to be.  How can I act as the person I was created to be if the identifiers I use for myself are all dealing with my "old self"?  I can't.  End of discussion.  So the next time I find myself wallowing in my "list" I'm going to call a spade a spade and call the devil out for trying to set another trap for me. And I will sit and rejoice over my new list of identifiers:

dearly loved.
blessed.
redeemed.
joyful.
daughter of the King.
unique.
prized.
lovingly created.
called.
gifted.
bought by the highest price.

And I will take a good, long look at my Redeemer and who He is.  




Lost are saved; find their way; at the sound of your great name 
All condemned; feel no shame, at the sound of your great name 
Every fear; has no place; at the sound of your great name 
The enemy; he has to leave; at the sound of your great name 

Jesus, Worthy is the Lamb that was slain for us, Son of God and Man 
You are high and lifted up; that all the world will praise your great name 

All the weak; find their strength; at the sound of your great name 
Hungry souls; receive grace; at the sound of your great name 
The fatherless; they find their rest; at the sound of your great name 
Sick are healed; and the dead are raised; at the sound of your great name 

Jesus, Worthy is the Lamb that was slain for us, Son of God and Man 
You are high and lifted up; that all the world will praise your great name 

Redeemer, My Healer, Lord Almighty 
Our savior, Defender, You are My King 

Jesus, Worthy is the Lamb that was slain for us, Son of God and Man 
You are high and lifted up; that all the world will praise your great name

No comments:

Post a Comment